Sunday, June 28, 2015

Castle Additions

It has been a nice warm sunny day. Mid 80 degree temps, when I showed up to Doris' place to drop off some food, there were bees everywhere. They were crawling around the outside. They were in the top box, beginning to work the frames in the super. They had filled up the slatted rack, and spread out to cover the majority of the last few frames inside the brood box. They have really blown up this last week or so.

I really only stopped by to drop off a pollen patty and refill the syrup. That quart size feeder is lasting only a few days now. There was so much activity, and they were obviously looking for more space, Kyson and I decided to go ahead and add the second deep box under the brood.
We will check them out later this week to see how they're liking it. I may need to move a few things around. I was planning on installing the queen separator to create a false roof over the brood. Right now the inner cover is between the brood box and the super. There were about three small clusters working on those frames this morning (golf ball size groups). They also had a dozen or so individuals wandering around the super. I do eventually hope they fill that super. For now, the goal is to increase bee numbers. I didn't spend much time inspecting. Of what I did see, all still looks well.

The brood box I added had some comb worked out by Deloris when she stayed there. I expect Doris will probably take right off where the others had left it.

--MAKE SURE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG AND HAVE UPDATES DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment