Friday, August 28, 2015

More Custom Accessories

Maybe it is the mechanic in me. I love to modify and customize everything. More performance or a Hot Rod touch, I feel like I need to make everything better. This week, I upgraded the honey super on the top of the hive with an entrance and a landing. I recently read an article that described the use of a 5/8 inch hole for an entrance with a small block for a landing board. The accessory was recommended by a long time beekeeper. The article and the beekeeper's name are nowhere to be found now. I wanted to give credit but I have been searching for four days and can't seem to come across the article again.

Anyway, I decided to try it on Doris' hive to see if it helps the workers get busy with the honey super. It turned out nice. It is small enough for the bees to defend it.
You can barely make out the landing on the front. It is just below the cover. Mom and I are refilling the syrup jars. I like to give them space when I do this now because they get so upset when I mess around at the entrance.
It will be important to figure out how to handle the super now. These bees guard their entrances aggressively. Once they start using this entrance, I am sure they will get mad when I take the hive down again.
Pollen patties are placed here, between the two brood boxes. This puts the protein rich supplement right where the nurse bees can get to it. If the patties are too far from the brood, the bees won't even bother with it. So I do need to take the hive down to feed, at least for a few more weeks.

Next season, I expect this hive will be completely self sufficient. I have been feeding all season to help them build their colony. Come spring time, they might need some help for a couple weeks, but should do just fine on their own. Any new colonies we may start next year will get the same treatments Doris got.

As for winter, I am considering a candy board for feeding, an insulated top (like a quilt box), and wrapping the hive to protect it from wind and cold. These are just the start, we still have six or eight weeks to come up with more ideas for wintering.

No comments:

Post a Comment