Monday, May 18, 2015

Rain's Comin'

Stopped off to check the hives this evening. I laid a blanket over the hive to crack them open so the wind would not get inside. Bees look like they are doing what they need to. There are no recently deceased in Delores' hive. Mite counts are down. I moved the pollen patty directly over the cluster. There is plenty of syrup in both feeders to last the next few days.

The forecast is for cold wind and rain for the next 14+ hours. Nighttime temps will be getting into the mid 30's for a couple days after that. Then more rain... This spring has not been ideal for bee colonies.
I wrapped both hives. First, in a moving pad for insulation, then in plastic to keep some rain off the pad.
I was careful to leave space for bees to get in and out. The wind cannot blow directly into the hive. With the cold wind blowing at about 15mph, there was nothing flying outside. I am sure they were all nestled in.

These wraps will come off quickly as soon as the weather turns. I may re-install them if I need to when these types of systems move in. At least up until the boxes fill with bees.

--MAKE SURE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG AND HAVE UPDATES DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment