Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Forcast is Always Wrong

The one thing you can always count on in Colorado is that the forcast will always be wrong. Today it was wrong in the worst way for bees. It's rainy, windy, and 42 degrees. It has been raining all night and everything is soaked, thoroughly. I had hoped to be able to open the hive possibly between showers. Now it looks like I won't be able to open them until tuesday.
I did open the entrances to the hives.  Maybe if it gets a little warmer they can start exploring. I noticed there was a lot of water around the entrances. So I cracked the top open and peeked to make sure it was all dry inside. It looked good. The bees inside were still but not stiff. Now I am hoping they survive this cold snap.
I am worried having the package in this long will allow the queen to move into the package instead of the frames. Hopefully this cold prevents them from building comb and from freeing the queen. At least long enough to let me get the frames put back in like they should be.
Oh well. This is the first lesson in keeping bees, I guess. The neighbor/Apiarist reassured me they have a survival mode and we should be just fine.
--MAKE SURE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG AND HAVE UPDATES DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment